We reached a tentative agreement on Tuesday, July 30th, for a new 2-year contract with the City of Imperial Beach. Your SEIU Local 221/IB Chapter Negotiating Committee is recommending that members vote YES and approve the new agreement.
While the agreement is not perfect, we made progress toward our main goals in negotiations:
– Raises, Not Bonuses: There are wage increases for each year of the contract for every IB Misc. Employee (Full Time or Part Time). In year one, effective July 1, 2013, a three (3%) percent wage increase across the board. In the second year, effective July 1, 2014, an additional three (3%) percent wage increase across the board. These are the first real raises since 2009.
– Health Insurance Benefit Increases: Non Kaiser Health Plan premiums decreased this year, but Kaiser Premiums increased by approximately 6%. The City has agreed to contribute an additional $25, increasing the Health Insurance Flexible Benefit from $855 to $880 each month effective January 1, 2014. In the second year effective January 1, 2015 a $50 increase will be added increasing the benefit from $880 to $930 each month. There is no change to the cash out limit.
1. The City will reimburse lifeguards, who have worked for the City at least 400 hours, for training, testing, books, and certificate expenses up to $900 for successfully completing the training and receiving an EMT certificate.
2. Part Time lifeguards will be eligible for a step increase on July 1st, if they have completed 600 hours in the previous 12-months.
– Use of Personal Vehicle: If a City vehicle is not available, employees may use their own vehicle to conduct City business with prior written authorization from their supervisor or HR. The employee must submit evidence to HR of automobile insurance. An employee may be reimbursed for mileage for use of their vehicle, but only if there is no City vehicle available.
Most importantly, the City of Imperial Beach management and City Council know who we are and that we will no longer be silent and invisible. Our members stepped up by attending Council meetings. We can’t stop now, we must continue forward to make sure that SEIU Local 221/IB Chapter is a strong, effective Union that stands up for workers and the community we serve.
Each meeting will last about 30 minutes, you will cast your ballots, and at the conclusion of the final meeting we will count the ballots.