Sometimes we forget to thank our expert Advocacy Team for their tireless work. They train Stewards, and handle all employee grievance and discipline issues with skill and finesse! SEIU Local 221 celebrates their spring 2013 victories and congratulates all those members involved on a job well done!
Here’s a look at some of the Advocacy Center’s 2013 Victories:
NHA (private sector)
Performance Improvement Plan for absenteeism removed in its entirety when the union asserted the employee was protected under the Family Medical Leave Act for caring for a sick relative.
Disciplinary suspension language changed to reflect employee’s version of events
- Won grievance against a sick leave verification requirement when the union asserted the employee was protected under the Family Medical Leave Act
- Letter of Warning language changed to reflect employee’s version of events
- Letter of Warning language changed to reflect that partial absences were protected under the Family Medical Leave Act
- Won grievance at the supervisory level asserting that management denied the employee’s right to union representation at a meeting believed to result in discipline
- Employee granted bereavement leave for the passing of her uncle, by asserting that he qualified as a close relative under the meaning of the contract language
- Agriculture Weights and Measures
- Settlement agreement to reduce and redact a suspension
- Settlement of a reclassification request before the Civil Service Commission where the union asserted that an employee’s time spent as a student worker should count as experience for a higher position
Department of Environmental Health
- Suspension reduced to a Letter of Reprimand at the Skelly hearing
- Employee with a workers’ comp injury prevented from having to transfer to a work location further than reasonably required by her doctor’s restriction
- Suspension reduced to a Letter of Reprimand
MAAC (private sector)
- Settlement agreement to change a termination to voluntary resignation to preserve future employment opportunities
- Settlement agreement to remove a Letter of Warning from an employee’s file earlier than previously required
Do you want to get involved with advocacy? Become a steward? Or find out more about rights and representation?